Thursday, January 24, 2013

So, I think my eyes are bleeding.

I got a little lazy in the last eight months or so, and I'm not afraid to admit it. In those eight months, since I graduated, I got used to bumming around, doing nothing more strenuous than playing softball and seeing how many Pinterest boards I could rack up (I think it's in the low 30's range, with roughly 29 of them being food-based boards. But I digress).
Then I felt my brain turning to mush (ever felt that? It's unpleasant) and decided that I was going to make this push to go back to school and start my master's degree. I love to learn, right? So this must be my thing, this grad school gig. I even got a coveted job as a graduate assistant to make it all really good and official-ly. That's not a word. Obviously I have a long way to go.
The point is, I went from this:
to this.
And now my head is pounding and my eyes feel like maybe they'd bleed, except they're too dry, and my back hurts from sitting here staring at the book and I'm pretty sure I have fifteen minutes to understand it before class starts and I have to discuss it. I really miss my pictures of food. But then I remind myself how mentally out of shape and complacent I felt when I was just looking at pictures of food, much less how physically out of shape I felt eating said foods, because you bet your ass I tried to make a lot of them, and, yes, it was a challenge, but not a challenge like trying to get through some Smolla. The words are beautifully written. They're just really, really hard to keep reading after a page.
As far as the new job, well, it's great. I got to do my first four mock interviews this week, and I really like it. If only I could finalize the shift from mush brain to super brain with a little more ease, things would be great. Until then, I'm going to need some dessert to get me through this three hour class I have in - now 12 - minutes. This should be interesting. Feel free to send me your favorite pictures of food, and happy Peanut Butter Day, fellow lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment