Thursday, January 17, 2013

I'm Back! The Fog has Lifted.

That title is shamelessly borrowed from Kid Rock, and I don't care who knows. It totally describes how I've felt the last couple of weeks. Being back in Pitt is incredible. I have missed the crap out of this place, and didn't even fully realize how much until I immersed myself back in the culture.
It's been awesome.
I loved my old job in that my boss was awesome, but the job itself wasn't very stimulating. There's a line in one of my current favorite songs, Forest Whitaker by Bad Books (check it out, seriously, you're doing yourself a favor unless you don't like my kind of music, in which case I'm sorry about your life) that goes a little something like this: You have a job that you hate when you're sober and hate even more when you're not. That line resonated with me a lot. I hate jobs that are boring, and I mean that in the sense that you have a set number of things to do, you do them, it never varies, and there's poor lighting in your office too, which emphasizes how depressing it all is. Oh, and your window faces a brick wall. Oh, and it's covered with a rusty grate.
So, there was that.
But my BOSS was awesome! And the people I worked with were awesome. I miss them. But not the monotony of the job. Enough about that. Now I'm in a new job, as a graduate assistant, which means that I enrolled in grad school, which is pretty awesome, and I'm paying for it myself as I go, which I hope will make me value the education even more, but we'll see. I just love taking classes from Dr. Arbuckle again. I've missed that guy.
So having two jobs that I love is great, and having two classes that I love is great.
Once my kid graduates in 2015, I'll be out of school, and thus out of a job, and I don't know how long my doctorate will take, but I'm pretty sure I can write from anywhere. I'm thinking I'll get a pork-pie hat and a pipe that I'll never smoke, just chew on, and BAM!, I'll be a stereotype, and then my writing can truly begin in earnest.
Anyway, that's what's been happening with me. The kids are still awesome, and the youngest is trying out for baseball, so fingers crossed on that, and the oldest started another semester at Crowder, which means he's on the back end of his degree, hours-wise, and I'm so proud of him for that, and if I could just convince Hunter that he isn't a failure if he works a little less and gets back into boxing, and things that HE really loves, then we'll be all set.
How's it going with YOU? I love what you're doing with your hair today, and I like your top. Talk to me anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment