Friday, December 28, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

Starting next month, I am leaving Heartland and starting a new phase of life at Pitt State.
Part of this probably has to do with the fact that I am getting older, and want to explore as many things as I can before I'm too old to care.
Has anyone else ever felt that way? It's not a mid-life crisis, exactly; actually, I think it has more to do with cancer. I had no real motivation or ambition before cancer. I just drifted, really. But once I had that death scare, I realized that I want to do a lot more things before I die.
I got this position at Pitt State, as a graduate assistant in employer relations, and I think it will be more challenging. I will get to conduct all the mock interviews for the campus and grade them. I get to research stuff I care about. The condition to employment is that I have to stay enrolled in school; no problem, because I miss it there. So I'm taking six hours in grad school and working part time on campus. I'll still keep my theater job because I freaking love it.
I'll get paid a fair amount, but with gas prices factored in, I won't make as much as I did at Heartland.
Something that has fallen by the wayside this month, though, is my book. I wish NaNoWriMo had a December contest, too, so that I could have kept pace with my word count. As it stands, I'm just past 60,000 words, and plot-wise, hovering around the two-thirds to three-fourths mark. I think about all I need to do, with finishing, and then editing, and then marketing, and I get so freakin' tired.
And then I like hanging out with my dang kids too much. They're fun. I miss seeing the oldest, but he did ask me to go with him to enroll for the spring semester. We had so much fun doing that - I think the highlight was when he snuck into the teacher's lounge and stole some cake, then the advisor called us in right after that. He had chocolate all over himself.
But I digress. He's really excited about taking Philosophy, which made me happy. Although he's not around as much, he's doing ok considering all the changes happening in his life. The youngest is always awesome. We get each other, and have our own bond. I am so glad to have them and to have their support. They are the best stepkids in the world (sorry, all you other stepkids, you didn't make the cut).
This is kind of rambly, but I hadn't posted in a while, so to all my readers (ha!), chill out. There were holidays and stuff.
Have a kick-ass New Year (I'll be working, so have fun for both of us) and I'll see ya in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment